Spišská Sobota is historically the oldest and most important suburban part of Poprad which has preserved its historical character till the present. The Spišská Sobota square treasures the beautiful historical houses built in the Renaissance era. This fact attracted many movie directors who made the historical scenes of their movies here. The Church of St. George with the late Gothic wing altars and the main altar from the workshop of Master Paul from Levoča is the most precious historical monument of Spišská Sobota. The whole part of the old town of Spišská Sobota has been declared to be the urban historical reservation.
Due to its good location Spišská Sobota was predestined for trade. Merchandise for trading came from the countries around the Baltic sea all the way to the Mediterranean sea. Many well-known personalities come from Spišská Sobota. Among them we can name the famous Brokoff family or the well-known Slovak traveller Móric Beňovský. Spišská Sobota hosted also the Hungarian king Mathew.
The first written mention about this suburban part dates back to 1256. The number of its inhabitants is 2,700 at present.
Stráže is historically the youngest suburban part of Poprad. According to the historical sources it used to be the sentry settlement. It was first mentioned in 1276. The only source of livelyhood of the local inhabitants was the agriculture. Stráže is situated on the hill southeast from Poprad. It offers an interesting view of the whole city of Poprad. Its square is dominated by the renovated building of the town- hall and the Church of St. John the Baptist. At present, Stráže is the second smallest suburban part of Poprad with approximately 600 inhabitants.
Its origin and the historical development is similar to those of the neighbouring settlements. The first The square in Veľkáwritten mention dates back to 1268. The settlement experienced many disasters, bud also periods of social and economic prosperity. In the past Veľká was renowned by its crafts and trade, especially by the blueprint production. In 1876 the first city museum was established here and it became the basis of the present Podtatranské Museum. The square with the typical middle-class bourgeois houses is dominated by the Church of St. John the Evangelist. By its location on the northern border of Poprad, Veľká offers a unique view of beautiful scenery of the High Tatras peaks. The number of its inhabitants is 4,400 at present.
This settlement was first mentioned in 1251. In Matejovce you can admire the Renaissance belfry from the 17th century and the Church of St. Stephen. The industrial production started its development in the workshops of German colonists. At the beginning of the 20th century, the simple workshops from the middle of the 19th century gave rise to the industrial production. The enamel products, agricultural tools and ironmonger´s products were produced in one of the largest factories in Slovakia. At present, it offers employment to many people from the region. Matejovce is situated northeast from Poprad and it has approximately 2,900 inhabitants at present.